The Strong4Life School Nurse program offers nurses and clinic assistants the know-how and skills to promote healthy habits for students and the school community.
School nurses and clinic assistants can access free training on a variety of topics related to obesity prevention and creating a healthy school environment. Trainings are offered at select events around the state, and live webinars are provided in partnership with the Georgia Department of Education. Strong4Life also developed fun resources to support classroom education and to provide easy tips and tricks to promote good nutrition and physical activity during the school day and beyond.
Key benefits for school nurses and clinic assistants include:
- Free training to support students developing healthy habits in an effort to help prevent childhood obesity
- Learning effective communication and education techniques to help school nurses motivate students, parents and school staff to adopt the Strong4Life Healthy Habits
- Free lesson plans and videos to support classroom education; and tip sheets for promoting healthy habits at school activities
- Continuing education credits for training participation (for nurses only)
Any Georgia-based school nurse or clinic assistant has access to a Strong4Life dietitian who specializes in promoting healthy habits in the school environment. For nutrition questions, guidance on how to address pediatric weight management concerns, and more information on community resources to support healthy habits, contact our registered dietitians at Strong4LifeSchools@choa.org.
In addition to our live trainings, you can access archived webinars, which are also approved for continuing education credits. Current webinars include:
All webinars are available on the Georgia Department of Education School Nurse Exchange (scroll down to "Webinars and Handouts" on the right):
- The Sweet Truth: New Guidelines and Recommendations on Sugar Intake for Kids reviews the American Heart Association’s new guidelines on added sugar, and what they mean for kids’ health. Participants will learn the sources of sugar in kids’ diets, and will leave with fun and creative ideas for educating kids, parents and staff.
- Healthy Habits: Communication is Key discusses how to enhance health communication skills. We will discuss key messages, as well as motivators for different stakeholders. Real world scenarios will be discussed, and we will provide tips and ideas for supporting a healthy school environment for kids.
- Why Sleep Matters introduces the connection between sleep and obesity, and explains how a lack of sleep can negatively affect academic performance. Participants will learn proper sleep hygiene techniques, including the importance of limiting screen time. Resources for promoting healthy sleep at home and school will be provided.
These continuing nursing education activities are provided by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Check out our healthy habits community resources. You will find activity ideas and short video clips for educating kids, handouts for parents, tips for planning healthy concession stands, and more.
Any school nurse or clinic assistant who submits a photo promoting or educating on the healthy habits will receive a free Strong4Life branded item. Upload your pictures here and keep an eye out for some of our favorites on the website. Need ideas? Check out our Wellness Resources.