1 hourPrep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
This exciting twist on everyday enchiladas will have the kids begging to eat their veggies.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped and divided
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped and divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 ounces enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 F and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving about ¼ inch thick.
- Drop hollowed zucchini halves in boiling water, and cook 1 minute; drain.
- Chop the scooped-out flesh of zucchini and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté ½ of the green onions, ½ of the bell pepper and the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, and cook another 4 minutes.
- Add water, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, oregano and chicken, and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place ¼ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, and place zucchini skin side down.
- Fill each hollowed zucchini with chicken mixture, pressing down firmly.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce and cheese over chicken mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Top with remaining green onions and green pepper.