45 minutesPrep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups whole-wheat macaroni noodles
- 2 cups chopped frozen broccoli (or other veggies)
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta for about 4 minutes, add frozen veggies, then boil another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together milk and flour in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until nearly simmering.
- Begin whisking constantly and continue to simmer until thick (about 3 minutes).
- Remove milk mixture from heat and stir in cheese and mustard.
- Drain pasta and veggies, and add to cheese sauce.
- Pour mixture into an 8-by-8-inch baking pan, sprinkle with pepper, cover with foil, and bake about 20 to 25 minutes.