35 minutesPrep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
If you buy frozen pancakes, you’ll end up paying more and getting more of what you don’t want (like unhealthy ingredients) than if you make these pancakes at home.
- 1 1/2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour or oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In medium-size bowl combine milk and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. This is making the buttermilk!
- While the milk and vinegar mixture sit, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- After the milk and vinegar mixture has been sitting for 5 minutes, add the eggs and oil to the mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix until moist. Do not over-mix (that can lead to tough, chewy pancakes).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto your skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface (about 1 to 2 minutes). Flip with a spatula and cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve immediately or individually freeze. Have fun with the toppings. Try fresh fruit, nut or seed butter, plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy), or the tried-and-true maple syrup (but just a little).