The Strong4Life School Nutrition Program provides schools in Georgia with the tools they need to encourage kids to make smart choices in the lunch line. Why? Because smart choices at lunch can have a huge impact on kids’ health. We combine clever marketing tactics, used by many fast-food marketers, with evidence-based techniques from Cornell University’s Smarter Lunchrooms Movement to train cafeteria managers and staff. After completing the training, school nutrition managers receive a free Strong4Life toolkit filled with posters, stickers, menu decals and more to help transform Georgia’s school cafeterias.
By the end of the 2015-2016 school year, more than 1,400 school nutrition managers and staff from nearly 800 schools across Georgia had taken advantage of our Strong4Life School Nutrition Training.
School nutrition managers are making small, low-to-no-cost environmental changes, and many schools are reporting increases in school lunch participation.
Just take a look at some of the positive feedback from school nutrition managers across the state:
- "I've noticed that changing the packaging just a little will spark an interest in students (especially the elementary kids)."
- "Our salad sales have increased, as have our fruit sales, just by changing the container we put it in and using the menu labels."
- "I took your advice and added two pretty fruit bowls at the end of the line, and the kids love it!"
- "The students are picking up more fruit and actually eating more of it. They seem to be getting more white milk than in years past."
- "We have started giving a class tour once a week. We tell them [the students] who we are and a little about the receiving, prep, cooking and our process. They really seem to enjoy the tours.”
The Strong4Life School Nutrition Training Program meets the USDA Professional Standards for School Nutrition Program personnel (1 credit hour). Achievement includes completion of a pre-survey, online module and post-survey. Certificate of Completion is available upon request.
- 3230 Healthy School Environment (Program Management)
- 4160 Smarter Lunchrooms Techniques (Communications and Marketing)