School Nutrition Program
The Strong4Life School Nutrition Program provides schools in Georgia with the tools they need to encourage kids to make smart choices in the cafeteria. Why? Because smart food choices can have a huge impact of kids’ health and academic performance. We combine clever marketing tactics, used by many fast-food marketers, with evidence-based techniques from the field of behavioral economics to train cafeteria managers and staff. After completing the training, school nutrition managers receive a free Strong4Life toolkit filled with posters, stickers, menu decals and more to help transform Georgia’s school cafeterias.
Why participate in the Strong4Life Nutrition Training?
School nutrition managers are making small, low-to-no-cost environmental changes, and many schools are reporting increases in breakfast and lunch participation. Schools also report selling more veggies, fruits and plain milk since participating in the program.
Take a look at some of the positive feedback from school nutrition managers across the state:
- "We've received a lot of great feedback from not only students, but teachers and administrators as well.”
- “The Strong4Life materials help me promote the nutritious foods we already have. Students are excited to come to lunch to see the creative names we made for the food each day.”
- “The staff on the serving line are more confident suggesting better options on the menus to students and getting them to try new items or food they usually don't eat.”
- “The lines move faster when the customers know what's before them and it's easier for them to identify what they want to eat.”
- “Our salad sales increased, as have our fruit sales, just by changing the container we put it in and using the Strong4Life menu labels.”
- “I’ve noticed that changing the packaging just a little will spark an interest in students.”
Give us an hour and we'll give you proven strategies to help kids choose school lunch and eat better in the school cafeteria.
In this one-hour, interactive course, you will:
- Learn the Strong4Life Smart Serving Strategies that help kids make smart food choices.
- Learn how to use training and toolkit materials to make low-to-no-cost changes in the lunch line.
- Develop an action plan to use in your cafeteria.
How to receive the School Nutrition Training
Live school district training
The Strong4Life School Nutrition live training is full of information, energy and fun. Two of our team members can attend your district-wide event. Managers must attend to be eligible for a toolkit, but staff are also welcome. To schedule a live training, contact Strong4LifeSchools@choa.org.
Interactive, web-based course
Individual schools can take the one-hour, interactive web-based course. A manager or assistant manager must complete the course to receive a Strong4Life toolkit, but staff are encouraged to participate.
Both training opportunities meet the USDA Professional Standards for School Nutrition Program personnel (1 credit hour).
- 3230 Healthy School Environment
- 4160 Smarter Lunchrooms Techniques
Remember: All managers who complete the course will receive a free toolkit, filled with posters, stickers, menu labels, floor decals and more!
Proper vs. Improper Prompting
Strong4Life School Nutrition Toolkit
Strong4Life Smart Serving Strategies