Recommending Camp Strong4Life to Patients
Camp Strong4Life is a unique camp experience designed to make practicing healthy habits fun, in a traditional camp environment. One of many camps hosted by Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and Camp Twin Lakes, Camp Strong4Life welcomes as many as 60 campers each summer from all over Georgia.
Who is eligible for Camp Strong4Life?
Children, ages 8 to 12, with a BMI at or above the 85th percentile are eligible for Camp Strong4Life. Physician referrals are not required; however, all campers must submit a completed medical and immunization form as part of the application process.
When and where is Camp Strong4Life?
Camp Strong4Life will be held Sunday, June 9, through Friday, June 14, at the Camp Twin Lakes Rutledge West Campus in Rutledge, Georgia.
The campsite features 20 camper cabins, lakeside amphitheater, fishing and boating dock, a state-of-the-art swimming pool with a waterslide, and 120 acres of farmland for gardening and farm education. Camp Twin Lakes hosts a network of camps providing life-changing programs to children with serious illnesses, disabilities, and other life challenges.
What patient families need to know about Camp Strong4Life
The Camp Strong4Life Program consists of a family orientation and camper week. All camper families are expected to attend all mandatory Camp Strong4Life components.
A few weeks prior to camper week, camp families are required to attend an orientation day at the Children’s Support Center in Brookhaven, Georgia. During this orientation, camp families will learn about the Strong4Life healthy habits and begin setting goals. Family participation is considered key to success for campers and the program.
From Sunday, June 9, through Friday, June 14, campers will learn about the Strong4Life healthy habits and enjoy traditional overnight camp experiences, such as archery, rock climbing, swimming, sleeping in a group cabin and more! It’s where campers feel an instant sense of belonging, discover their own strengths, make memories to last a lifetime and try new things in a pressure-free environment.
At Strong4Life, we know that healthy habits are the key to feeling good, performing our best and being healthy inside and out. Our camp teaches kids and parents about the four Strong4Life healthy habits:
- Eat smarter, drink water
- Screens away, go play
- Get rest to be your best
- Emotions are real, express how you feel
Here are some of the fun ways we incorporate Strong4Life healthy habits sessions into camp:
- Cooking challenges and nutrition demonstrations
- Arts and crafts
- “Be Active Day” games and activities
Caregivers are required to apply to Camp Strong4Life and complete all application components to be considered. Acceptance to camp is on a first come, first served basis.
- Application: The application for the 2024 Camp Strong4Life is now open. Once completed, the camp staff may follow up with questions based on the information provided on the medical and immunization form or on the application.
- Medical forms: A licensed clinician must complete the mandatory medical and immunization form. Forms can be faxed to 404-785-3241 or the caregiver can upload the forms to their application digitally.
- Cost: The cost of camp is $350 per camper with financial scholarships for those who apply*. No refunds will be given for missing any components of the Camp Strong4Life Program.
*Families may complete the financial aid form within the application.
The Camp Strong4Life Team
Camp Strong4Life has a full team of healthcare professionals and camp counselors, working together to support all campers. Camp is also supported by the Camp Twin Lakes summer staff.
Camp Strong4Life staff includes:
- Physician assistants
- Exercise physiologists
- Licensed therapists
- College students pursuing degrees in health promotion, public health, pre-med and more
For questions or more information about Camp Strong4Life, email CampStrong4Life@choa.org, call 404-785-7228 or send a fax to 404-785-3241.